There are many brands of engine oil these days but how will one know whether the engine oil one uses is good or not. As I was using Valvoline, I decided to address the question, “Is Valvoline a good engine oil?”
Since I have been using Valvoline Engine Oil for the past 2 years, I can answer this question thoroughly.
Long story short, yes, Valvoline is a good engine oil. It is one of the oldest brands of engine oil and it is known for its reliability and providing good value.
When a brand exists as long as Valvoline has existed, it is sure that it has made good products over the years. Reliability comes along with such brands by default. Valvoline engine oil ensures that there is minimum friction between the engine components and helps in keeping the engine clean and sludge-free. Because of these reasons, the engine remains smooth and lives longer, hence the reliability of Valvoline has become impenetrable over the years.
One strategy that Valvoline has always applied is to offer products at a cheaper rate than its competitors, which results in an exceptional value for the money it charges. You get great engine oil performance at a lesser price therefore it definitely makes for a good deal.
A small downside with Valvoline is that the synthetic oil of Valvoline that is suitable for Diesel engines is not much recognized in the market and generally people prefer other brands for their Diesel engines. Therefore, it may be difficult for you to find one in the market.
Note: Valvoline makes both, high-quality gasoline and diesel engines’ engine oils. Whether people trust one or the other is a different ball game altogether.
|Suitable Engines||All gasoline and diesel engines|
|Suitable Models||High-mileage, new cars, and high-performance cars|
|Grades Available||0W-16, 0W-20, 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-20, 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40, 20W-50|
|Value for money||9/10|
Pros and Cons of Valvoline engine oil
Every individual has different needs and every engine oil has certain pros and cons. Let us dive into some of the pros and cons of Valvoline so as to understand better if Valvoline meets your expectations or not.
Note: The cons mentioned below do not mean that Valvoline engine oil is inferior. It is just that its competitors are better in certain aspects.
|More than 150 years of trust and reliability||Synthetic oil for diesel engines is less recognized in the market|
|Value for money||Technologically behind its competitors|
|Good performance||High-temperature performance is a bit less than competitors|
|Good engine protection||Longevity is better in its competitors|
|With over 1000-plus outlets, it is present in almost every major US city.|
- Reliability: It reduces the friction within the engine components which helps in reducing the engine wear and keeps the engine running smoothly for a long period.
- Value for money: Valvoline provides high-performance and superior engine protection at a lesser price as compared to its competitors which makes using Valvoline a value for money deal.
- High-temperature performance: There is no doubt that Valvoline provides decent high-temperature performance but some of its chief competitors have become superior in this aspect and Valvoline is lagging behind.
- Longevity: Some other engine oils in the market last longer than Valvoline. It gets burnt sooner as compared to its competitors. So, you have to change the engine oil frequently as compared to some other engine oils.
Product Review of Some Important Valvoline Engine Oils:
Valvoline Advanced Full synthetic SAE 0W-20 Motor Oil
Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic Motor oil is engineered to provide utmost protection to the engine and reduces the friction within the engine components due to which the wear and tear is minimized. It also prevents engine breakdown by eliminating excess heat and sludge deposits. It handles changing weather conditions very well. All these factors result in a great performance and maximize the engine life.
To prevent oil breakdown when the engine oil gets a bit old, Valvoline includes premium additives, antioxidants, and extra detergents. These also help in keeping the engine components clean and sludge-free.
Features: Some important features of Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic Motor oil are:
- It offers 40% more protection than industry standards with premium anti-wear additives, antioxidants, and extra detergents to form an extra layer of protection.
- It prevents oil breakdown 10X better with premium antioxidants that fight harmful increases in viscosity.
- It offers 25% more defense against deposits with extra detergents that keep engine surfaces clean.
User Rating: 4.8/5
Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic SAE 0W-40 Motor Oil
Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic Motor oil is designed to meet the expectations of modern-day European vehicles, both gasoline, and diesel. Valvoline claims that its exclusive formula includes premium wear additives, antioxidants, and extra detergents to provide superior protection to the engine components, increase engine performance by reducing friction, and prevent oil breakdown.
This engine oil is approved and licensed for most European brands such as Audi, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Porsche, etc.
Features: Some of the important features of Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic Motor oil are:
- It reduces engine wear with advanced anti-wear additives that offer an extra layer of protection
- Prevents oil breakdown when the oil gets a bit old with superior antioxidants.
- Keeps the engine clean and sludge-free with extra engine-cleaning detergents.
- It offers exceptional engine protection in extreme (High or Low) temperature conditions.
User ratings: 4.7/5
You May Also Like:-
Valvoline Extended Protection Full Synthetic SAE 5W-20 Motor Oil
Valvoline Extended Protection Full Synthetic Motor oil is one of Valvoline’s flagship products which is engineered specifically to keep the engine fresh and maximize its longevity.
Modern engines have become highly optimized and sophisticated with smaller engine sizes, engine boosting (turbocharged or supercharged), high compression ratios, etc. due to which they have to operate in extreme conditions and go through an immense workload. In order to keep the engine running smoothly in such cases, one needs a highly sophisticated engine oil that provides engine protection like no other. Valvoline Extended Protection Full Synthetic Motor oil helps reduce the friction between engine components, due to which engine wear is significantly reduced.
Features: Some of the important features of Valvoline Extended Protection Full Synthetic Motor oil are:
- 10X stronger thermal resistance than industry standards that prevent oil breakdown in harsh conditions
- It keeps your engine clean and sludge-free with Dual-defense Additive Technology.
- It has anti-wear additives which provide 50% better wear protection.
User ratings: 4.8/5
Valvoline Premium Blue SAE 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil
Valvoline Premium Blue SAE 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil is manufactured specifically for heavy-duty trucks and other equipment. Its One Solution Technology is designed for the on-road and off-road requirements of these trucks and other heavy-duty vehicles.
Features: Some of the important features of Valvoline Premium Blue SAE 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil are:
- Its One Solution Technology ensures a wide range of applications such as gasoline, diesel, and natural gas engines.
- It is the only engine oil to be endorsed and recommended by Cummins as it has extraordinary wear protection, oxidation resistance, and sludge protection that exceeds the industry standards.
- Outstanding wear protection and oxidation resistance for excellent heavy-duty engine longevity.
User ratings: 4.8/5
Some important FAQs:
1) Is Valvoline good oil for BMW?
In general, all BMW cars require synthetic engine oils. The Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 is suitable for most BMW models. Therefore, it is true that Valvoline is a good oil for BMW cars. The important thing is that it is not just any Valvoline engine oil, but the Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 synthetic oil that does the job.
Now, BMW recommends using BMW genuine motor oil for the best performance. It is your call whether to go for BMW motor oil or Valvoline or some other oil you prefer.
Pro-Tip: Always refer to your BMW owner’s manual for the viscosity grade and other specifications of the engine oil.
2) Can you mix other synthetic oils with Valvoline synthetic oil?
Generally, there is no problem in mixing synthetic oil of other brands with Valvoline synthetic oil. You have to keep the viscosity grade in mind. However, it is best to avoid such practices.
Truly speaking, you should not mix any 2 engine oil brands as every brand has its own composition of additives and other chemicals so we as users cannot comprehend if it will benefit or deteriorate the engine of our car. Unless you just have to do it, we will not recommend mixing any 2 different types of engine oils.
So, the bottomline is that ‘You can, but you should not.’
3) Is Valvoline good oil for Honda?
Honda and Valvoline make for a perfect match. Hondas are well-known for their reliability, same is the case with Valvoline engine oils. It is perfectly fine to be used in Hondas and there are many people who use Valvoline in their Hondas.
All Honda dealers recommend using Honda Genuine Motor oil available on the Honda website and dealers but it is totally fine to use the engine oil that you prefer.
Pro-Tip: Always refer to your Honda owner’s manual for the viscosity grade and other specifications of the engine oil.
4) Is Valvoline good oil for Toyota?
Toyota recommends low viscosity engine oil for their new-age cars as they reduce friction, wear and tear within the engine components, and also increase the fuel economy of the car. For this purpose, Valvoline synthetic oils which are available in low viscosity grades make for perfect engine oil.
However, Toyota urges its customers to use Toyota genuine synthetic motor oil for better results.
Pro-Tip: Always refer to your Toyota owner’s manual for the viscosity grade and other specifications of the engine oil.
5) Who makes Valvoline engine oil?
Valvoline is an American company that manufactures automotive oil, additives, and lubricants. It is now owned by a Global chemical company known as Ashland Inc. So, all the products including the engine oils are made by Valvoline themselves and not by any third party.
Valvoline is more than 150 years old and it commands a significant market share in the US engine oil/lubricants market. Therefore, there is no doubt about the authenticity and legitimacy of Valvoline engine oils.
6) Is Valvoline good oil for Subaru?
For Subaru owners, Valvoline is a good choice of engine oil, mostly Subaru recommends 0W-30 for most of its Naturally Aspirated engines and 5W-30 for its turbocharged engines. Still, it is better to refer to the owner’s manual before jumping to any conclusions. Valvoline will make your Subaru’s engine quieter and protect it efficiently.
Though Subaru recommends using Subaru synthetic motor oil, it is up to you to decide what engine oil you prefer.
Pro-Tip: Always refer to your Subaru owner’s manual for the viscosity grade and other specifications of the engine oil.
You May Also Like:-
7) Is Valvoline oil good for Mercedes?
Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic motor oil is designed specially to meet and even exceed the demands of European engines including Mercedes, Audi, VW, etc. It has premium additives to protect the engine better in all kinds of temperature conditions, exceeding the industry standards.
Pro-Tip: Always refer to your Mercedes owner’s manual for the viscosity grade and other specifications of the engine oil.
8) Is Valvoline gear oil good?
Valvoline gear oil is one of the superior gear oils present in the market and people are generally satisfied with its performance. It is formulated for ultimate protection and performance. Valvoline claims that it is a thermally stable, extreme-pressure gear oil which is designed to operate in extreme temperature conditions both high and low.
Some important features of Valvoline synthetic gear oil (as claimed by Valvoline) are:
- Provides excellent low-temperature protection.
- Offers good thermal stability for cleanliness.
- Contains premium additives to prevent rust and corrosion in the gear teeth.
- It helps provide a smoother and quieter ride experience.
Valvoline gear oil comes in a few options of viscosity grades such as 75W-90 and 75W-140.
Note: Always use the gear oil recommended by your vehicle’s manufacturer. For that, refer to the manufacturer owner’s manual.
Valvoline is one of the most reliable brands for engine oils. It is made in the USA and has served our engines for over 150 years. There is no doubt that a brand that has had a presence for so many years has made some good quality engine oils. On top of that, their engine oils provide excellent value for the money they charge.
Do check them out and know for yourself whether you should use Valvoline or any other engine oil.